Just like any sport, there are different game rules depending on the league or location. We generally adhere to the California High School Speech Association rulebook.
Speech and Debate Team for EDHS Ethics and Code of Honor
At the beginning of the school year, team members may be asked to sign an honor code. Recently, the honor code has been updated to be more in compliance with our school district rules. Contact the team for this year's Code of Honor.
As a member of the El Dorado High School Speech and Debate Team, I will:
- Turn in my completed permission slip to my coach BEFORE the Tournament.
- Turn in the rest of the student packet and the parent volunteer form by Sept 30th or one month after I join the program, whichever is later.
- Maintain a 2.0 GPA at all times, with no Fs.
- Be prepared for one event each tournament, unless otherwise mutually agreed with the coach BEFORE the Tournament (in writing when requested).
- Submit a copy of the script with references 2 weeks prior to the tournament or January 30th, whichever is earlier. This includes the source of any interp with title, author, publisher, ISBN # or MLA works cited page for originals.
- Attend and participate in team meetings as scheduled. To remain eligible for any competition, a team member must attend the meeting just prior to the tournament. Attendance counts when the coach verbally acknowledges that I have attended or if my name appears on the attendance roll taken at any meeting according to the coach’s discretion.
- Be sure that my adult representative understands and completes their commitments. I will also be sure that my adult driver/judge, if different, understands and completes their obligations, including turning the appropriate paperwork prior to the tournament as necessary.
- Dress appropriately for competition at all times, including awards. Dress according to EDUHSD dress code at all times, including when competition dress is not required (Student Handbook 16).
- Never argue or question a tournament judge.
- Never leave during a tournament without written permission to do so and check out with the coach first.
- Stay with the team at all tournaments. Non-team members may visit only with prior notification to the coach and with parent’s permission.
- Understand that there will be a $25 drop fee if I drop after the tournament deadline prior to any tournament. This fee is my responsibility and it will be assessed in a regular ASB fine.
- Understand the following financial obligations for my competing in a tournament. Understand that these obligations will not hinder my participation in the team, but that my team may be prevented from competing if these obligations are not met:
b. Invitational costs are significantly higher than regular league tournaments, including entry fees, housing, and food.
c. State and or National events' costs are also significantly higher
14. When traveling, be in my own room by curfew and make every effort to get some rest. I will never invite anyone other than teammates who identify with the same gender as me into my room.
15. As in accordance with EDUHSD, no drug or alcohol use at any time. Any necessary over-the-counter or prescription drugs for medical will be handled in accordance with the EDUHSD policy (Student Handbook 20). Prior written permission from parents must be on file with the school and with the coach.
16. Always remember that I am a representation not only of myself and my family, but also of the team, my school, and my coach.
I understand that failure to comply with this code of honor will result in adverse consequences which may include (but are not limited to) my immediate removal from competition for a period of time to be decided upon by my coach and the school administration.
Our Speech and Debate team is part of the El Dorado Union High School District, and we adhere to policies in place during meetings and tournaments, including travel and housing stays. Please refer to the rules outlined in the Student Handbook:
In addition to the dress code in the EDUHSD handbook, we have certain dress requirements. For more info, check out our Competition Dress page.