Be a Speechie!
If talking is your passion, join our team where you can have your say. Whether you are voicing your own opinions, or giving an interpretive performance of someone else's, speech is the only sport with a coach that encourages you not to shut up (as long as you're delivering your speech that is). Our next league competition is November 9th. Talk to Ms. Winter for team meeting schedule.
EDHS participates in 11 different speech events (Sometimes called Individual Events or IEs). The events are listed below, with a description of each from the national website or state website unless otherwise noted.
- Impromptu (aka IMP)
- Dramatic Interpretation (aka DI)
- Duo Interpretation (aka DUO)
- Humorous Interpretation (aka HI)
- Program Oral Interpretation (aka Thematic Interpretation, TI, or POI)*
- Expository (aka EXPOS, Informative Speaking or INF)
- Original Oratory (aka OO)
- Original Advocacy (aka OA)
- Extemporaneous Speech (aka Extemp, or NX and IX)
- Oratorical Interpretation (aka Declamation or OI)
- Original Prose and Poetry (aka OPP)
*As of October 2018, Thematic Interp has been changed to Program Oral Interp.
Prepping for a Speech
If you are interested in doing an interpretation, you need to find a script. Many scripts need to be cut to fit the 10 minute time limit. You can find a number of scripts in the meeting classroom, or you may select a piece from the approved website list:
Talk to your event captain for information on selecting, cutting, and blocking your speech.
Knowing the heads of state and governments is important, especially if you are entered in Extemp, EXPOS or IMP events. Below is a link to the full list of world leaders: